Monday, May 25, 2015

Vegan Gluten-Free Coconut Yogurt

       I'd like to start out by thanking Belle +Bella for hooking me up with a sample packet of their dairy-free yogurtstarter!  I've been wanting to experiment with making my own coconut yogurt for awhile but I haven't had the chance, so I was more than happy to give this starter a try.  
 
       Well, now not only do I get to bring you my recipe for coconut yogurt, but I also get to give you a big thumbs up on Belle + Bella yogurt starter!!!  It worked wonderfully and was simple and easy to use.  I hope you enjoy!

You'll need:

(3) 13oz cans coconut milk

1 tsp vanilla extract



---


       In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together coconut milk, vanilla, and tapioca.  Gradually increase the temperature until the candy thermometer reaches 180°F.  Remove from heat and allow to cool to about 108°F.
       After the coconut mixture has cooled down, take a small amount out of the saucepan and mix it with the packet of yogurt starter.  Add this mixture back into the rest of the yogurt, then mix in the chia seeds.
       If you have a yogurt maker, simply follow the directions provided on the packet of yogurt starter.  Otherwise, if you are like me and don't have a yogurt maker, then you can follow my method below.

 You’ll need:


 3 pint jars

       Turn the crock pot on high, then in a medium saucepan, bring water almost to a boil, but not quite.  Pour water into the preheated crock pot, then turn the crock pot down to low.

       Separate the yogurt into the three pint jars, seal them tightly, and place them in the crock pot.  Unplug the crock pot and wrap three large towels around it to insulate.  Allow this to rest for 24 hours and then you should have a thick, creamy, all-around-yummy vegan yogurt!

       This method worked splendidly for me but I would suggest if you do have a yogurt maker, go with that route.  Or if you have been considering purchasing one, this would be the perfect excuse to go ahead and do it.

       Enjoy your yogurt!  You can eat it plain, sweetened, with coconut shreds, or my personal favorite, fresh local berries!  Get creative with your toppings and let us know how it turns out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment