Monday, November 3, 2014

Gluten-Free Creamy Ginger Brew Cupcakes!


Okay, so I couldn’t let autumn pass us by without posting a ginger recipe (and don’t think adding this one recipe will stop me from coming up with more gingery yumminess in the future!).  I felt like a ginger dish was long overdue, so I bring to you my version of a classic soda cake, with an autumn-flavored twist.  Now if you are a huge fan of ginger, you may want to up the gingeriness by adding a teaspoon of ground ginger into the cupcake batter.  What I have below is the recipe I whipped up and so far it's received nothing but great reviews.  I hope you enjoy! 
 
Here’s what you’ll need… 
 
3 Cups Ginger Ale, divided  (I used Reed’s Ginger Brew Extra Strong) 

1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  
¾  Cup Sugar
  
1/3 Cup Coconut  Oil
 
2 tsp Vanilla 

1 1/3 Cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
  
1 tsp Xanthan Gum 

1  tsp Baking Soda
  
1 tsp Baking Powder

---
1 tbsp Tapioca Starch/Flour



In a saucepan, dissolve one tablespoon of tapioca starch with a small amount of ginger ale.  After the tapioca has dissolved, add in two more cups of ginger ale. Slowly bring mixture to a boil until it thickens up to a syrup consistency.
        Place pan into the fridge and allow to cool until needed for frosting.
 
        Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin and set aside.

 
        In a medium bowl, combine ginger ale and vinegar.  Allow to sit together for five minutes before adding in sugar, vanilla, and coconut oil.  Using an electric mixer, blend the ingredients together on medium-high speed.
      In a small bowl combine flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.  Slowly add the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture and whip until fully incorporated.

         Fill each cupcake tin approximately 3/4 full with batter.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
 
        Transfer to a cooling rack right away and place into the refrigerator.

         While the cupcakes are chillin', we'll whip up some ginger cream filling!

 
Ginger Cream Filling

         Alright, so normally I’m all about just sharing the recipe with you, my readers, and letting the recipe speak for itself.  But sometimes, when a moment happens that is like something straight out of an episode of I Love Lucy, it just has to be shared with the world! 

        My original intention for this recipe was to just have a basic cupcake and ginger ale frosting.  Sooo, I cooked down the soda with the tapioca to make a nice thick syrup and magic happened!  Or so I thought.  I might warn you ahead of time...after you’ve creamed the butter for the frosting, make sure you completely whip the powdered sugar into the butter before trying to whip in the syrup!  Let’s just say that butter + powdered sugar + soda syrup = Brian being covered in a sticky, sugary, powdered mess!!!  I'll probably still be finding bits and pieces of ginger filling on the kitchen ceiling for a while.  Kinda reminded me of the time when my mixer attachment broke while making the creme for my Almond Delights...ahh, memories.  I think anyone can relate to 'electric mixer moments', as I like to call them!  Back to the recipe…   

 
1/2 Cup Salted Butter (one stick)

1 Cup Powdered Sugar

1/2 cup of Prepared Ginger Syrup

        In a bowl, cream the butter, then whip in the powdered sugar very, very well indeed before mixing in the prepared ginger syrup!  Set in the fridge until needed.

 
Ginger Butter Cream

 
1/2 Cup Salted Butter (one stick)

2 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar

½ tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream

¼ or ½ tsp Ginger Powder

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

¼ tsp Salt
 
        In a small bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter until fluffy.  Add in one cup of powdered sugar followed by a half tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.  Whip in powdered ginger (1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon, depending on how gingery you like it), vanilla, and salt.  Whip in the last 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar.  If you would like your frosting to have a bit thinner consistency, add a splash more of heavy cream. 
 
To assemble cupcakes:

        Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, core out the centers using either a coring tool or butter knife.  After you’ve cored out about an inch of cupcake, scoop the prepared filling into a piping bag and squeeze into the centers of each cupcake.  Next, spread generous amounts of ginger butter cream across the tops of the cupcakes.  As a final touch, I suggest garnishing with pieces of crystallized ginger.  Then serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment